[Tagging] custom road ref shields

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Sat Nov 29 00:15:56 UTC 2014

i think this has kind of wandered off topic for tagging, as no new
tagging needs to be developed...

On 11/28/14 6:39 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Kind of thought this was settled already, even in the strange cases of
> states with multiple highway networks (Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, to
> name three).
>
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 4:06 PM, Clifford Snow
> <clifford at snowandsnow.us <mailto:clifford at snowandsnow.us>> wrote:
>
>     I've been trying to understand the issues that keep us from having
>     Pictural Route Shields. The issue is on github [1] but as best as
>     I can understand, it gets down to how we (US) tag routes. From
>     talking to Paul Norman we need to fix the tagging problems before
>     we can get pictural route shields.

well, there's also a need to actually get the route shield code into place
on whatever rendering engine is deemed appropriate.

>     Toby has a working demo [2] up on the openstreetmap us servers.

yes; this is a demo of Phil's solution. i have help a bit with shield
configuration
files for NYS and tagging of NYS routes. the links i posted the other
day are
to this demo server.

>     According to Toby, the US Interstate routes are in good shape. We
>     probably need to work on State and US routes. Not having done much
>     route relationships, except to break a few, I can't offer much
>     support. However with Martijn Exel help using Maproulette we could
>     go after broken relationships.

a lot of US and state routes are done. in NYS coverage is pretty good;
there are
some state routes missing, and county routes are mostly done on the east
side
of the state.

>     I propose we ask for pictural shields on interstate routes while
>     working on completing the US and State routes.

there are a couple of elements to consider here. in addition to
building relations, there are these other elements:

providing appropriate base svg files for shields that don't currently
have them. i don't know how many of these are yet to be developed

providing configuration files that guide the pre population of the
route shields of various types (i did a bit of this for NYS county
routes a year or so back).

as i understand it, the demo is based on mapnik styles pre
carto, and some work would need to be done to move it to carto.

what standard do we want to set for deploying shields? the demo
displays shields when relations are set up and displays the old style
oval ref element otherwise. so there's no technical reason why we
can't look at alternate, incremental approaches. i think that knowing
that your shields will show up as soon as you build relations could
be a powerful motivator.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
  OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux