[Tagging] Problem with rendering natural=saddle

Alan Trick alantrick at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 17:28:25 UTC 2014

I'm a little bit late to this, since I don't read the list regularly,
but I have some thoughts about this, and I hope something moves
forward.

1. I think that if we render saddles, it would also be good to render
ridge lines. Most maps I've seen render either both or neither. I
think they certainly look more complete together.
2. While I think rendering a saddle/pass/col with the bridge icon
would be better; I think that for the time being, just rendering the
name would be fine. This is what the current USGS maps do.
3. While we could get direction from elevation data from elsewhere, it
has it's issues. Elevation data can be misleading, particularly in
rugged terrain.
4. In the above example of Col du Grand-Saint-Bernard, I would think
the col is clearly east-west-ish. Sure, the road goes north-south, but
where it meets the ridge, it goes east-west. There is a north-south
col at FenĂȘtre de Ferret (http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/292049137)
5. I haven't looked at the rendering code yet, but would it be
possible to define a col/saddle/pass as a point along a ridgeline, and
its direction to be perpendicular to that line?