[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - relation type=person

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 21:31:36 UTC 2014

On 13/10/2014, Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think OSM isn't a place for this. Number of the grave should be enough,
> and naming people in the grave (if they are not famous) looks like data for
> other databases. What are other uses for this relation type? Home of a
> person, workplace of a person, current location of a person?

While I'm against the relation as it is curently described in the
wiki, I think that "who is in which tomb" is information that does
belong in OSM, and that a person relation is often the right way to
tag that (mostly to cater for multi-tenancy tombs; a simpler tagging
schema on the tomb itself should also be usable. Like we use
mulipolygon relations only when needed).

Finding the tomb you want in a cemetery is *hard* and I'd love to be
able to use OSM for it (probably via a specialized smartphone app). A
particular tomb is like any POI, OSM should enable me to find it. Not
all cemeteries are well organised enough to have grave or even row
numbers. This is not only about noteworthy people either, one should
be able to map a cemetery exhaustively.

On the other hand, the current wiki proposal is ridiculous, in that it
tries to support extended genealogy data (birth/death place/date,
children, religion, etc) which really doesn't belong in OSM, because
it is more about the people than the place.

Even the suggestion of memorials seems ill-advised: you dont want to
put all the Churchill monuments in a relation, and you don't want to
have the war remembrance monuments (In France there's one in pretty
much every village) belonging to 100s of relations. Maybe the
noteworthyness criteria saves us here, I'm not sure.

That said, looking at taginfo[1], the relation doesn't seem to be
misused in practice. 79% tombs, 15% memorials, 4% named_in_honor (not
documented and doesn't make sense to me: the *person* is named in
honor of somebody else ??), and the rest is anectotal. So it's just
the wiki page that is silly flamebait, actual usage is fine :)

[1]:http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/relations/person#roles