[Tagging] Public lands with designated parking lots

johnw johnw at mac.com
Mon Oct 20 01:50:31 UTC 2014

It sounds like the parking is an amenity of the the trailhead.  maybe tagging the trailhead as a point/area is a good thing. (amenity=trailhead  or similar tag that could be for a point or area. This si especially useful for larger facilities where the whole reason for being is that the the trail is starting there (like most of whitney portal, or the major parking stations on Mt Fuji)  there is no reason to be there other than to be at the trailhead.

or finding the best place to access the trail is elusive (as mentioned in the post), designating the "trail starting point" or similar is a good idea.

So then the parking is just inside the area for the trialhead.

> In an ideal world, there would be some way to clearly indicate "This is an official parking lot for accessing this area/POI/business/etc."

Put it inside the trailhead area. Done.

There are a lot of trailheads with unofficial parking (a turnout by the side of the road, etc), and that would handle them too, official or not.