[Tagging] service= tag confusion

Brad Neuhauser brad.neuhauser at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 13:58:20 UTC 2014

I see from the page history that I added service=* to the wiki page, but
I'm sorry to say I cannot remember exactly why. :( While service=* is
definitely in use with car repair shops, it does seem to create the
possibility of confusion. I'd be happy to at least change the wording to
indicate this, or remove it if that's the consensus.

EDIT: looking into this further, service=tyres|dealer|parts|repair, which
are the largest usage of the car repair-service tags (500-1800 uses,
depending), all have wiki redirects to the Russian shop=car page (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/RU%3ATag%3Ashop%3Dcar). In looking at
the service=tyres map on taginfo, the majority of usage is in Russia too
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/service=tyres#map  Does anyone know
someone who could bring this up on the Russian talk list? (or can read the
Russian wiki page?)

As for alternatives, some people have used car_repair=* but Martin's idea,
though complex, would better allow multiple values.

Cheers,
Brad

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 2:59 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com