[Tagging] Pre-RFC: shop=stationery, shop=office_supplies

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 00:12:56 UTC 2014

I don't think there's much difference in reality as both sell paper, pens,
ink and etc. However, the newer office supply places like Staples and
Office Max are superstores that sell desks, computers, and other office
furniture as well. When I think of stationary shops I think of smaller,
more intimate spaces.

I don't think my  observation will help to decide which to use but might
explain where the differences arose. Why some people would tag a Staples as
a stationary shop and others as an office_supply shop is beyond me. It's
just the way things happen on OSM I reckon.

Cheers,
Dave

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 7:01 AM, Matthijs Melissen <info at matthijsmelissen.nl
> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> We have currently two tags with a closely related, if not identical,
> meaning: shop=stationery (8038 instances) and shop=office_supplies
> (177 instances).
>
> Is there a difference between these two tags, or should we deprecate
> shop=office_supplies in favour of shop=stationery?
>
> For example, Staples, a large multinational stationery/office supplies
> shop is tagged 380 times as shop=stationery and 48 times as
> shop=office_supplies.
>
> -- Matthijs

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska