[Tagging] Pre-RFC: shop=stationery, shop=office_supplies

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Tue Oct 21 00:17:53 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Matthijs Melissen <info at matthijsmelissen.nl
> wrote:

> We have currently two tags with a closely related, if not identical,
> meaning: shop=stationery (8038 instances) and shop=office_supplies
> (177 instances).
>
> Is there a difference between these two tags, or should we deprecate
> shop=office_supplies in favour of shop=stationery?
>
> For example, Staples, a large multinational stationery/office supplies
> shop is tagged 380 times as shop=stationery and 48 times as
> shop=office_supplies.

Before I read the wiki, I thought office_supplies would be a better
description to shops like Staples. However, wiki clearly says
shop=stationery includes office supply stores such as Staples and Office
Max/Depot.

JOSM and iD have presets for shop=stationary. In iD there is no results for
office supplies. Office points to Office Depot which will tag it as
stationery.

Based on history I agree that shop=office_supplies should be deprecated.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us