[Tagging] RFC Bag shop

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 11:46:45 UTC 2014

> Currently the tag shop=bag (612) is used in parallel to the less used
> tag shop=bags (120). I propose to agree on the de facto standard (the
> singular).
>
> In order to accomplish that, I have created two proposal pages:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Bag_shop
>
> Please let me know what you think.

I recall that once there was a recommendation how to create new shop values
which also referred to the singular/plural issue.* It would be preferrable
to have a default way to do things so you don't have shop=bag but
shop=books.

These are currently the most in use values:
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/shop#values

Leaving out those not relevant for plural/singular (e.g. supermarket,
convenience and professions like "butcher"),  there are (in order of
occurence):
clothes (maybe also not relevant here)
car_repair
car
bicycle
furniture (maybe also not relevant)
alcohol (maybe also not relevant)
books
electronics (maybe also not relevant)
shoes
gift
mobile_phone
computer
sports (maybe not relevant)
beverages
toys
motorcycle
pet
tyres
video

it slightly looks as if the singular form is preferred (but there are some
significant exceptions like books, shoes, beverages, toys).

As this is also the general recommendation (see below), +1 for your proposal

cheers,
Martin

* I've found it here, someone has moved it over from the key:shop page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Shops
"Please use the singular form."