[Tagging] natural=bay as nodes are evil

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 15:43:00 UTC 2014

> No, that is not how OSM works.  The mappers can choose a method to map
> they deem appropriate - which in this case quite clearly is nodes (less
> than 0.5 percent ways and relations according to taginfo).

the same holds true for countries, there are 0% mapped as ways, and only 7
are relations (who knows which kind of), they are all mapped as nodes:
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/place=country
is a node the best representation for a country? Surely it is the easiest
to map. Shall we encourage this kind of tagging? IMHO it is completely
broken, but it is OK to render a label. If all you want to know about bays
is where to best put a label then nodes are a good way to do it.

cheers,
Martin