[Tagging] what does maxheight=none mean?

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Mon Oct 27 19:21:51 UTC 2014

On 25.10.2014 01:10, Kytömaa Lauri wrote:
> Personally, i use maxheight = x  + maxheight:physical=x for these, but saying that signs are the only thing that can be tagged gives bad data.

I did not say that signs are the only thing that can be tagged. I said that
we should map what we see. When we see a sign, we map the contents of the
sign. When we see some physical height or distance, we may map it. But when
we see nothing, it's plain wrong to add something to the database. E.g. when
there's no building, you wouldn't draw an area and tag it building=no. For
the same reason, you shouldn't make up a maxheight=none (or unsigned) when
there's no sign. However, you may use maxheight:physical=xyz when you
surveyed the xyz, as this does conform to the "we map what we see" rule.

maxheight:physical=* does not require maxheight=* to be defined, and vice
versa. These two keys are independant of each other. The former is the
physical limit, while the latter is the designated limit. If there's no
designated limit, omit it and specify the physical limit only. There's
absolutely no reason for maxheight=none/unsigned/or/other/bogus.

> Statements to the effect that any tags can only refer to signposted limits do not represent the original usages of the tag

The original usage of the tag is history, and even the original usage did
not include values like "unsigned".