[Tagging] RFC Bag shop

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 23:21:51 UTC 2014

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:46:45 +0100 From: Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related
tools" <tagging at openstreetmap.org> Subject: Re: [Tagging] RFC Bag shop
Matthijs Melissen <info at matthijsmelissen.nl>:
>> Currently the tag shop=bag (612) is used in parallel to the less used
>> tag shop=bags (120). I propose to agree on the de facto standard (the
>> singular).
>>
>> In order to accomplish that, I have created two proposal pages:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Bag_shop
>>
>> Please let me know what you think.
>>
> I recall that once there was a recommendation how to create new shop values
> which also referred to the singular/plural issue.* It would be preferrable
> to have a default way to do things so you don't have shop=bag but
> shop=books.
>
> These are currently the most in use values:
> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/shop#values
>
> Leaving out those not relevant for plural/singular (e.g. supermarket,
> convenience and professions like "butcher"),  there are (in order of
> occurence):
> clothes (maybe also not relevant here)
> car_repair
> car
> bicycle
> furniture (maybe also not relevant)
> alcohol (maybe also not relevant)
> books
> electronics (maybe also not relevant)
> shoes
> gift
> mobile_phone
> computer
> sports (maybe not relevant)
> beverages
> toys
> motorcycle
> pet
> tyres
> video
>
> it slightly looks as if the singular form is preferred (but there are some
> significant exceptions like books, shoes, beverages, toys).
>
> As this is also the general recommendation (see below), +1 for your proposal
>
> cheers,
> Martin
>

> * I've found it here, someone has moved it over from the key:shop page:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Shops
> "Please use the singular form."

Umm .. are 'we' tagging for UK English .. as it is used? Then plural is
more usual except (English has quite a few exceptions to any 'rule');

Butcher
furniture
alcohol

and probably a few more, these are just from the above list.

But English is not 'clean'. So I would say (in speach) 'a shop for motorcycles' .. but 'a motorcyle shop' so plural then singular. Or'a shop for alcohol' .. but 'an alcohol shop' so singular in both cases. Or 'a shop for shoes' .. but 'a shoe shop' so againplural then singular.