[Tagging] natural=bay as nodes are evil

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 00:39:59 UTC 2014

Dana 27. 10. 2014. 21:30 osoba "Eric Kidd" <emk.lists at randomhacks.net>
napisala je:

> The rendering onopenstreetmap.orgis pretty good: it just prints the bay
name at the marked point, and shows it across a reasonable range of scales.
There are some weird cases with nested bays, but those are weird on the
nautical charts, too.

Why would we adopt mapping styles from nautical charts if they have weird
renderings with some bays? We have to be better then those charts, even
though they are "official".

Dana 27. 10. 2014. 21:42 osoba "Christoph Hormann" <chris_hormann at gmx.de>
napisala je:

> If you want to formulate a formal mathematical rule for where the node
> for a bay is best placed: Place it so the variance of the distance of
> the node to the bay's shores is minimized.  Most existing nodes comply
> with this rule remarkably well.

What's the best place for the node in Guantanamo Bay? Is the current node
well placed?

http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2501579651

Janko