[Tagging] what does maxheight=none mean?

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 12:08:30 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 8:21 PM, Friedrich Volkmann <bsd at volki.at> wrote:

> (...) But when we see nothing, it's plain wrong to add something to the database.

But it's a common practice today in OSM. It seems you missed the long
discussions about "noname=yes" or "oneway=no". Such tags don't say
"here is nothing". It says that someone went on place and checked that
the restriction does not apply. Otherwise, we cannot differenciate
surveyed locations and missing information in OSM.

Btw, I'm also in favour of "maxheight=unsigned" which is for me less
controversial than "maxheight=none" (even as a non native English
speaker). Although "maxheight" is the legal value (like all tags in
the category "access"), "none" is suggesting that there is no height
limit at all.

Pieren