[Tagging] Default maxspeed unit on waterways

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Oct 29 21:05:37 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 8:14 AM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently, le wiki ([1]) suggests that maxspeed has to specify the
> unit "knots" when it's not km/h. But "knot" is the unit used worldwide
> on waterways.  Why should we add something obvious on all waterway
> elements?

Except it totally isn't, especially inland, where countries often use the
same units as on land.  Even though the Columbia River's rivermarks are
denominated in nautical miles upstream of the Columbia Bar (the area
roughly from the end of the jetties into the Pacific Ocean at it's delta to
roughly once you get past the riprap jetty that US 101 travels three miles
into the Columbia River on before rising over the last mile on the
Astoria-Megler Bridge), once you get past the Astoria Port of Entry area
for foreign ships entering inland waters, speeds posted on buoys changes
from knots to MPH.

> Could we suggest that the default unit for maxspeed on
> waterways is "knot" and the default "km/h" remains for highways and
> railways ?

 Yeah, how about no, let's keep maxspeed the default on km/h for the sake
of the vast majority of elements that use maxspeed as a legal restriction.