[Tagging] Feature proposal - Street cabinet - Voting

johnw johnw at mac.com
Fri Oct 31 06:00:14 UTC 2014

I was going to suggest "Waste Transfer station" http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dwaste_transfer_station
But after reading the wiki for it, it was not at all what I expected.

In America, at least in most suburban areas, waste is collected from individual residences via bins/cans on the street with(enormous) trucks, so there is no static transfer points whatsoever, it goes from curb to landfill directly.

In Japan, There are static waste collection "Garbage stations" [ゴミ ステーション] per street or area, and are often large, steel, screened cages that are stuffed full of 45 liter bags. There is no possible way fro a truck to service the myriad of little tiny buildings, some of them only on walking paths - even in cities of 100K people, so there is a garbage station for every 20-30 houses or so, or one for a large apartment or company. Temporary ones are merely nets to keep the crows off the bags, but most are permanent ones worth mapping.

My local garbage station (2 cabinets)  http://goo.gl/maps/VLgMP
a full one nearby http://goo.gl/maps/eqVS3

although some are old and look disused, they are used daily or weekly by the populace, and mapping them would be useful on a very local level (like the cabinets in general).

Please add a line item for waste transfer, similar to the postal transfer - this is a missing step in the garbage collection, and a cabinet that have been overlooked.
Also, I suggest also adding "sliding" for the door hinge option (as the second one has no hinges)

Javbw