[Tagging] default value for "oneway"

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 08:00:07 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 12:48 PM, ael <law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> To suggest that we now have to include every possible tag with an
> explicit value on every element is just ridiculous: the logical
> consequence of an explicit oneway on all ways.

+1
The rule is and has always been in OSM the following : "if oneway tag
is missing, we assume it is not a oneway" (excepted for roundabouts:
and we had epic discussions about the default for motorways but
finally it was said that we should add it explicitely also there). I
can understand it is disturbing newcomers and people coming from GIS.
But once you understand the concept, it's easy. Of course, adding
explicitely that a street is not a oneway, especially in a dense area
with many oneways make sens. It's just telling the other contributors
that this particular attribut has been verified by someone. But don't
ask others to make it mandatory.

Pieren