[Tagging] Tagging of movie rental kiosk

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 08:21:11 UTC 2014

> But you are correct, vending would imply sale. But since we have soooo
> many people mapping dvd kiosks as vending_machine, I'd go with them.

I think we shouldn't. I am aware that some mappers are using the
vending_machine tag for kinds of machines that distribute something or
offer some service without selling anything, but we should discourage this
IMHO. We don't use vending=cash for ATMs and we shouldn't use it for
machines that don't sell anything. A few people using a tag with wrong
semantics is no good reason to officially recommend this tagging (I write a
few because as of now there are according to taginfo 27 vending=dvd and 7
vending=video and some more minor numbers for variants, this really doesn't
qualify for "sooo many" even if we assumed that all those were for renting
and not for selling - if I haven't overlooked something here).

cheers,
Martin