[Tagging] include smoothness=* in JOSM presets?

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Mon Sep 1 10:39:35 UTC 2014

On 30.08.2014 13:54, Paul Hartmann wrote:
> there have been requests to include the tag smoothness=* in the JOSM presets
> [1]. Everywhere the user can fill in surface=*, we would add an additional
> option for smoothness=*. Apart from the value (excellent, good, ...) we
> would include the explanation from the wiki into the selection combo box.
>
> Do you think this tag is considered mainstream by now or are there still
> many people who oppose the usage of this tag?
>
> I know there have been lengthy discussions on this topic before and I don't
> want to start another one. This is supposed to be something like a quick poll.

I am sceptical about JOSM and presets altogether, because mappers should
read the wiki and make up their own mind instead of letting some software do
the thinking, particularly if the editor claims to address expert mappers,
as JOSM does.

I am also sceptical about the smoothness=* key in particular. It was
approved long ago, but it is actually useless in view of the poorly defined
values. The verbal definitions in the wiki contradict the photos.

So, from a theoretical point of view, including the key in the OSM presets
would be alright, but from a practical point of view, it isn't.

If you do it. lots of ways will be spammed with tags that bear no
information. And whenever a mapper splits a way with such a tag, he needs to
decide whether that tag needs to be adjusted for one of the parts, or even
for both.