[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Tagging for complex junctions or traffic signals that are named

Satoshi IIDA nyampire at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 04:50:51 UTC 2014

Hello from Japan,

> @Lukas are the names of the traffic signals/junctions actually used in
> addresses (and in principal would be a suitable value for addr:place in
an address)?
No.
We realize the name of traffic signal only for routing and navigation on
local district.
It is very separated concept from "place" (residence of human kind) tag or
"addr:*" (postal delivery) tag.

The name of traffic signal is not used as addressing system.
And if there are very dense traffic signals, occasionally the names are
like...
"XZY Conter(Chuo)", "XZY North", "XZY West", or so.

# "XZY" is the name of place or district, like Roppongi or Akihabara.

Following maybe off topic...
Hence, some JP mappers had proposed "place=locality" for old/famous name
for mountain path crossing.
e.g. "XZY tsuji (辻, crossing)" or "XZY Touge (峠, peak)".

They may be acceptable, because we realize them as old/famous place name.
But I do not feel that it would not suite for modern traffic_signal system.

> On 08/25/2014 11:09 PM, Lukas Sommer wrote:
>
>> In Ivory Coast, you have addresses like “in front of the XYZ crossroad”
>> or “from XYZ crossroad 50 m towards the big fueling station”. Rather a sort
>> of instructions for getting somewhere than an address in the european
>> sense. Obviously “from XYZ crossroad 50 m towards the big fueling station”
>> will be applied to various houses (usually, when you have arrived, you make
>> a phone call to the person that you want to meet, and the person comes to
>> the road to search you and help you with the last part of the way – I can
>> guarantee you that this is very time-consuming ;-)
>>

> That said, people in quite a few African countries have a postal address
> (PO box in most cases) distinct from the address of their residence, so the
> problem of shoehorning directions in the standard address fields of
> European-designed software is side-stepped more often than not.

Satoshi IIDA
mail: nyampire at gmail.com
twitter: @nyampire