[Tagging] "floating" or "pontoon" bridges?

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Tue Sep 2 15:46:38 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 8:39 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> IMHO "floating bridge" is hardly to be misunderstood when speaking about
> bridge types, and also the Google image search seems to confirm that this
> is an established term. Where ships might beconsidered "pontoons" when used
> as bridge support, or not, doesn't really change the game, it will still be
> a floating bridge, and also wikipedia:en confirms this ("pontoon bridge or
> floating bridge")

I agree. The pontoon is just the mechanism to float the bridge. Seattle
bridges are referred to as floating bridges. The public just got an
education on what floats the bridges when some of the pontoons started
leaking. The brand new and not even in use pontoons started leaking. Then
again if I made a pontoon out of concrete, they'd just sink.

--
@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us