[Tagging] Route relations - Forward & Backward

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 5 19:41:59 UTC 2014

Am 05.09.2014 21:00, schrieb Jo:
> Most bus routes in Belgium have several variations. Most have at least
> 2. One from A to B, another from B to A. To me it makes most sense to
> create one route relation for each variation, which contains all the
> stops in the order they will be passed by. Occasionally it happens stops
> occur more than once.

Do not forget that we still have a lot of bus lines mapped with the old
system. On the other hand you would not add a way twice (one forward,
the other backward) but only once without role in the old system.

> Before all the stops (because that is  how JOSM would sort them) come all
> the ways the bus travels along. If a way is used twice, the route
> relation also contains it twice. If all the ways are sorted properly
> there is no need for forward/backward roles. If there is no need for
> something, I prefer to not add it.

Do forward/backward hurt if the way is only used in one direction ?

Some weeks ago I kindly ask another mapper to use forward/backward as
she/he was adding the role "oneway".

There is still lots of work to do in tagging bus lines, especially
regional ones and forward/backward as long as it is used consistently
does not hurt on any type=route.