[Tagging] "floating" or "pontoon" bridges?

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 17:06:43 UTC 2014

I am not an expert.
The four bridges in "my" area are similar in construction. They use
boat-shaped floating devices, similar to your antique example. I do not
know whether these are actually (ex-) boats. As far as I know, when they
are opened, typically because of high water flow and consequent danger of
them being damaged, they are swung by 90 degrees as a complete unit and
anchored to the river bank. They are not normally opened to let boats
through and I don't think they can be partially opened.
But they are not floating bridges as in your second link.
If you give me time I most likely do have photographs of all of them, at
least one of them both opened and closed. (My photos are geotagged, but my
archive does not allow search by coordinates)

Volker