[Tagging] English translations in non-english countries

johnw johnw at mac.com
Mon Sep 15 09:36:44 UTC 2014

Thanks for the thoughtful replies.  I understand the issue now.  With the multitude of:

- places to get information

- areas of responsibility  (EG OSM tagging is somewhat separate form rendering)

- mailing lists of different groups.

- Language pages of the different languages being used in OSM

it seems to be really problematic to get authoritative information, at least in the boat that I am in, living (and knowing) Japan geographically quite well, but still dependent on english for my daily life (currently).

The JA wiki ( which is mostly bilingual as well - nice) is helpful, but incomplete or old:

- The Wiki's main Japan project page is a couple years out of date. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Japan

- Naming sample is really helpful - for chain stores. the issues I have are for naming transportation  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JA:Naming_sample

- Tagging features goes into naming features, but the discussion of adding English to the names is only discussed in Japanese, so I had no idea what they were (or are) discussing, and no mention of not putting english in tags being bad is not mentioned anywhere on that page. I assumed it was similarly out of date and the parenthesis were added in as more people were working to clean up and tag the old data imports.

> But a few insists the bilingual RENDERING on osm.org or on other alternative (apps or tiles or so).

If every single exit, train station, and hundreds of thousands of road signs are gonna be officially printed bilingual, then there should be a solution in OSM for showing both too, especially in the main rendered map (the JA render specifically for Japan, I have no issues with being Japanese only)

Unless we want to start getting a lot of blue paint and painting out all the english in all the road signs in Japan.

I know that sounds inflammatory, but being able to reference the Kanji as an identifier - especially when other private Japanese material (is of course, as expected) printed in Japanese only, being able to match Kanji on the maps to the Japanese only material lets me navigate and understand the places I am going, and the english helps me speak, identify, and learn the locations and associated Kanji. This is why Google Maps "english labels" are useful (you get En + JA) and Apple's is not nearly as useful (EN only).
This is the reality of the foreigners living in Japan and other places where learning the character set is more difficult than learning their phonetic symbols. I can get by with reading Munich or München, but being able to read  東京 vs 京都 vs 前橋 is quite more difficult than München vs Nürnberg vs Stuttgart, as they are not phonetic.

For the main transportation system - Tollways & Trains - the english exists for a reason - and that reason is just as valid for it's inclusion (in some database friendly way) into OSM

In a larger context - I find this really interesting - the local signs and whatever are bilingual - but  other people ehre said that this is the policy of using the local language, but getting regional or non-western things added to the main tagging scema - and then supported in rendering is almost impossible without major support from people uninterested in tagging those items - so there is barely anything supported for rendering things in Japan's standard iconography.  For example - The way OSM renders train lines doesn't match the decades long tradition in all printed materials (let alone maps) in Japan referencing the dashed train lines as only for the JR system, while the myriad of other private railways are solid lines. since there is no support for coloring of ways, then there is no way to remove this confusion brought about by OSM's incomplete tagging and rendering system of the entire Japanese train and subway system - because it doesn't conform to the larger "internationally" focused and uniform rendering of the map. Convenient for the tagging system and the rendering, but creates a confusing and inferior map to the Japanese people who would use it.

I find it very convenient that the solutions to problems changes between "uniformity" and "regional preference" depending on which one would mean less changes to tagging and rendering schemas.

I will not be using (en) parenthesis going forward, and I hope people who know more than I can implement a rendering solution to let people choose which sublanguage tag they'd also like displayed.

Javbw