[Tagging] landuse=grass => natural=grass

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Thu Sep 18 05:57:18 UTC 2014

On 18.09.2014 01:01, Dave F. wrote:
> On 17/09/2014 22:44, Daniel Koć wrote:

>> We (in Polish forum) think, that changing landuse=grass into natural=grass
>> would make better tagging scheme, since grass is seldom a "landuse" (like
>> the tree is natural=tree, not the amenity or something else). How do you
>> find this idea?

Fine, but landuse=grass, landuse=meadow, natural=grassland and surface=grass
are all in use. No need for just another synonymous tag. Consider tags as
codes as in a programming language. It's fine if they are self-explanatory,
but more important is a clear definition and consistent usage.

> 1. I thought the general consensus was to start using landcover for this
> type of object.

No consensus. I strongly oppose landcover=* in view of its weak definition,
and because it invents nothing new. Say, how does landcover=grass differ
from surface=grass?