[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Tagging for complex junctions or traffic signals that are named

johnw johnw at mac.com
Thu Sep 18 15:11:04 UTC 2014

> in OSM we focus on ground truth and having a local (!) community taking care of the data and keeping it in shape.

The expected iconography differs between countries, as they are shown on maps differently in the different countries. At least comparing Japan to America, what they expect to be displayed and how it is represented differs greatly. We have to be flexible enough to let the rendering of one country differ from one to the next, if if follows the societal conventions of their maps.

If we can't designate a single signal icon for the complex intersections in japan, and offer named signals as well, we are choosing to make an inferior map for Japanese users because it doesn't conform to the groups opinion on what it should be outside Japan.

So the sentiment about local users and whatnot is just puffery.

Junctions naming in Korea happens to align better but "ground truth" is that people in Japan call them signals, publish maps with signals, show signals on signs, ads, billboards, and online - everything revolves around the consistent display of signals if we are going to render them. we will eventually have to clean up the multitude of signals rendered by OSM, and this is one reason why.

This is a local tagging-rendering issue in search of a solution supported by the group  - a single (horizontal?) signal icon is required to be displayed per junction with a signal, regardless of the number of actual signal nodes that are needed for a complex intersection, and it has to have an optional name rendered with it.

Google conformed to this a few years ago, when they stepped up their mapping by importing and now improving zenrin's data.
https://www.google.co.jp/maps/@36.4108183,139.3363032,17z?hl=en

Apple's initial map was crap, mostly because it was based on old OSM data using imports that were never cleaned up. 3 months later, AppleMaps got a significant overhaul (they also imported and are now improving a local dataset), and every month they get better, even for me out here in the sticks. They also initially didn't support the signal icon, and now fully support it.   PS - the Japanese post office icon is also used - another local custom we'll have to adapt to as well. Still waiting on the proper JR rail line rendering though.

OSM will have to do it too.  What other way do you suggest that this be accomplished? Pushing it off is an option, but this is something that a rendered map from OSM will eventually be *required to display this in this particular fashion* in Japan.

Javbw