[Tagging] University accommodation (was Re: Future proposal - RFC - amenity=dormitory)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 15:15:33 UTC 2014

>  for buildings:   building=residential + residential=university +
> operator=*
>         OR
>  for sites:   landuse=residential + residential=university + operator=*
>
> Note that the same scheme seems to me to work well for building and for
> landuse.

I am not sure if this "works". Have you been looking at current values for
the "residential" key? These are the ones with more than 100 uses:

rural <http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/residential=rural>
78 141

-

urban <http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/residential=urban>
12 698

-

garden <http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/residential=garden>
3 805

-

gated <http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/residential=gated>
884

-

apartments <http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/residential=apartments>
231

-

single_family
<http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/residential=single_family>
197

-

detached <http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/residential=detached>
133

There are already at least 3 different systems (one for rural / urban and
one for the building typology (detached / single_family / apartments) and
one for gated communities (what's this, socio-economic aspect of urbanism
maybe?). Now you seem to be adding yet another one, "university" for
student's appartments (not really self explaining IMHO).

I would use a specific tag for the building typology (e.g.
building=dormitory or student_accomodation or similar if the building was
built as such) and another one if it is actually used as such (e.g. under
the amenity key as suggested by Tobias).

I don't see this as a case for adding a specific landuse value, but I do
agree that refining the generic "residential" into more differentiated
values by subtagging might be a general option (regardless of this
particular case of student accomodation), e.g. differentiate according to
density and

structure (open / closed, not sure about the precise term in English, for
reference see these two pictures:
open (=space between buildings)
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offene_Bauweise_%28Baurecht%29#mediaviewer/File:Offene_Bauweise.png
closed (buildings without space between them):
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geschlossene_Bauweise_%28Baurecht%29#mediaviewer/File:Geschlossene_Bauweise.png

the above distinction is still quite generic, both of these types also have
a lot of subtypes (ideally, then there are mixed cases).

cheers,
Martin