[Tagging] University accommodation (was Re: Future proposal - RFC - amenity=dormitory)

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 10:07:17 UTC 2014

> On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 7:09 AM, <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Dormitories are rooms with multiple beds, usually bunk beds and associated
>> with youth hostels,  certainly not suitable for student accommodation where
>> there is typically one student in a room, maybe two but they are certainly
>> not dormitories.
>
> What you're saying is British English usage. Here in the Philippines,
> dormitories are understood to be buildings primarily for students.

Thanks. So we've re-confirmed that the word "dormitory" has some
ambiguities that might be problematic, especially considering that OSM
is based on British English.

Eugene points out "sport=soccer" which is a good example of OSM
deliberately avoiding ambiguities, since in that case the common term
"football" has one meaning in US and one in UK. In that case we
avoided the British term as a special case, to avoid the ambiguity.
Here "dormitory" is the ambiguous term.

But that's all fine, since remember that Hno's tag proposal has
already been altered to amenity=student_accommodation.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/amenity%3Dstudent_accommodation
I agree with fly that it'd be nice to have a tag which didn't fix the
profession (so that it could be used for nurses/lecturers/etc) but
maybe that's not so bad.

Cheers
Dan