[Tagging] Understanding links

johnw johnw at mac.com
Mon Sep 22 13:06:26 UTC 2014

I have a question on highway link roads.

I came across some trunk_links that seemed really out of place today, but they were recently added by a tagger that usually knows what they are doing.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/36.30046/139.19574

The frontage road for "local access" to the buildings along the road is marked as trunk link.

As I understand it, the local access roads would be an unclassified road with bollards or a kind of barrier at each end, and with trunk links, (or one way unclassified roads?) that lead onto the actual new trunk road.

This seems like an incorrect use of trunk_links for the frontage road along the buildings and maybe for the little entrance exit driveways that connect it to the trunk roads.

Javbw