[Tagging] For your comment: New template: Unit summary

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Fri Apr 3 09:33:15 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 2:14 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> ele= only takes meters as a unit .. the reason states is that "Renderers
> have no way of doing conversions on the fly to local units while creating
> image tiles" ... and this is an 'approved' tag.

That's mapping for the rendering's back-end SQL database.

If I'm staring at a sign that says "14,505 feet", that's certainly how I
want to tag it.
The rendering can catch up.  Parsers are easy, ubiquitous and cheap.

To the extent the wiki describes actual tagging practice, rather than
hopes, this is already a non issue.  People do tag feet, meters, psi and a
variety of other reasonable human oriented units. Any rendering not parsing
that data is missing valid data.