[Tagging] Proposal: Rename wiki status "Approved" to "Published"

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 10:26:00 UTC 2015

> This mailing list community veers toward nit picking and bike shedding,
> and tends to block rather than guide forward change.  It's also a tiny
> fraction of the mapping community, which is sad.
>
> --------------------
> *"Published" *in this sense means published on the wiki, a resource that
> is referenced by editing tools, but not considered authoritative.  OSM has
> an open tagging system, and mappers are free to pick their own conventions.
> Decision makers for rendering software are free to pick from the tag soup,
> and render only select details.  A successful tag proposal often involves
> much more than just wiki publishing.

I support the change in naming from approved to published, but not from
approved to "recommended" (I would if it was "recommended by these 42
mappers: ....", but otherwise "recommended" sounds even more official than
"approved").

> *"Approved"* means approved the tagging mailing list participants, a
> small fraction of the OSM community.

no, it means approved by the people who participated in the wiki vote for
this tag. It has nothing to do with this mailing list (OK, there is some
overlap).

Cheers,
Martin