[Tagging] Proposal: Rename wiki status "Approved" to "Published"

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 12:07:05 UTC 2015

> If one wants to avoid conflicts, one will always use different tags than
> tags that are already in use.

+-0, typically mappers want to use the same tags that other users also use
to make usage of the map data easier (i.e. they want their stuff rendered,
etc.). Of course everyone could invent new tags for everything everytime
they map, and conflicts could be very much avoided (especially with a
common tagging scheme and namespaces, e.g.
martin_koppenhoefer:highway=motorway, martin_vonwald:highway=motorway,
etc.). Not what you wanted to say? Can you expand in which cases one should
use a different tag than those already in use?

> A proposal should be the documentation of new tags that are actually
> used(!).

proposals sometimes also extend or restrict the usage of tags that aren't
"new".
How do we resolve cases of different people using the same tag for
different things? How do we discover these cases? When should you write a
proposal for a new tag (i.e. how much "use" should a tag have before you
can document it?).

> A proposal should not be a drawing board idea that will only be used after
> some vote, just to find out five minutes later that it can't handle some
> common cases.

+1

Cheers,
Martin