[Tagging] Which entities use area=yes

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 7 18:21:21 UTC 2015

Am 07.04.2015 um 18:39 schrieb Dave F.:
> Hi
>
> I thought it was required for platform as some were being drawn as a
> single line & as OSM has no specific closed polygon entity, renderers
> can't tell if it's an area to be filled or an extremely squiggly platform.

No problem with platform as way (line) but as closed way, really.
Wonder about platform building a "ring" but no area. All the the ones I
know at least have different ref=* and therefore need to be splitted.

Could you show us a real world example, please ?

> Ah, I forgot about aeroways. I'm surprised the conclusion was the width
> tag. With locations that have aerial imagery it's much more accurate to
> trace its width. Couldn't the renderers adapt to both? If it has area
> then fill it, if it has width render it as such.

Same problem as highway=*, you never know if a closed way tagged with
aeroway=taxiway is an area or a loop.

As far as I can judge a clean separation would be the best:

for highway and aeroway representing the area as area:highway=*
respectively area:aeroway=* and only tag ways with highway and aeroway.

Cheers fly