[Tagging] Straw pole Temperature=objective default unit?

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 02:11:13 UTC 2015

I think that, as for elevations, it should default to degrees Celsius. That
is, taking the number 20 as a value would mean 20 degrees C.  The tag could
accept Fahrenheit if the numeric value is followed by a space and the
letter F.

Also, no degree symbols please.

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 9:03 AM, Andrew Errington <erringtona at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think if no unit is specified then it should be taken to mean Celsius
> worldwide.  To define the unit explicitly use n[.n][C|F].  We should also
> state that the degree symbol is not required (and maybe that it should
> never be present).
>
> At least, that's my opinion.
>
> Andrew
>
> On 9 April 2015 at 10:33, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 5:52 PM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Please indicate your preference a,b or c. (or d etc if they are
>>> nominated?)
>>>

>> Explicit units are better than implicit.
>>
>> But there still needs to a be a better defined case for a temperature
>> tag: there are very few fixed temperatures that
>> meet OSM's criteria of verifiable.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand