[Tagging] Straw pole Temperature=objective default unit?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 9 06:18:05 UTC 2015

a).

I have not come across a precedent for region-dependent default units.
The wiki pages for Units and maxspeed seem to be quite clear that the
default unit is km/h. If they are to be region-dependent we will also
need a default default, if you are outside of any region with a defined
default. Regional defaults are IMHO a good idea and probably inevitable
at some stage (can you cycle on a highway=trunk?) but AFAIK they are not
there now in OSM.

Of course the decimal separator must be "." (dot not comma) in line with
other numbers.

Using the degree symbol should be tolerated at most (i.e. not mandatory
at all) as it is often difficult to enter, depending on your keyboard.

On 2015-04-09 07:19, Warin wrote:

> To be clear... IF the mapper enters, say,
>
> temperature=46
>
> a) this is taken as 46 °C
> b) taken as 46 °C, except in regions where Fahrenheit is use then 46 °F (similar to default speeds taken as kmh or mph depending on region)
> c) an error and rejected.
>
> --------------------------
> You can comment on the degree symbol and the use of a space .. I'm coming to the conclusion that both are optional. But the main subject is the default unit.. a) °C, b) selected by region as °Cor °F, c) an error.
>
> ====================
>
> On 9/04/2015 3:00 PM, Jan van Bekkum wrote:
> I would prefer a degree symbol. Otherwise you never can be sure that C is meant by a mapper from a F region.
>
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 4:13 AM Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think that, as for elevations, it should default to degrees Celsius. That is, taking the number 20 as a value would mean 20 degrees C. The tag could accept Fahrenheit if the numeric value is followed by a space and the letter F.
>
> Also, no degree symbols please.
>
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 9:03 AM, Andrew Errington <erringtona at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think if no unit is specified then it should be taken to mean Celsius worldwide. To define the unit explicitly use n[.n][C|F]. We should also state that the degree symbol is not required (and maybe that it should never be present).
>
> At least, that's my opinion.
>
> Andrew
>
> On 9 April 2015 at 10:33, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 5:52 PM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please indicate your preference a,b or c. (or d etc if they are nominated?)
>
> Explicit units are better than implicit.
>
> But there still needs to a be a better defined case for a temperature tag: there are very few fixed temperatures that
> meet OSM's criteria of verifiable.

Links:
------