[Tagging] Straw pole Temperature=objective default unit?

johnw johnw at mac.com
Thu Apr 9 07:02:56 UTC 2015

> On Apr 9, 2015, at 9:52 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I'd like an indication of the preference for the default unit of the temperature= value
>

> Say a mapper tags
>
> temperature=42
>
> The options are to interpret this as

> a) values would be interpreted as degrees Celsius. (Similar to the width key default.)

values should default to a known unit, like meters for elevation.

I don’t enter m with an elevation value ( ele=3776 ), because the tag says it is in meters. Even though I am an American and still think in feet/inches/acres/miles, I read thr wiki and tag info in iD - which states it is in meters.

temperature should be the same.

Get the tagging programs to display a note with the tag, and it is super-easy to understand the unit for the tag.

Javbw