[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - trailhead

johnw johnw at mac.com
Mon Apr 13 04:10:43 UTC 2015

> On Apr 13, 2015, at 11:12 AM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 5:38 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com <mailto:gdt at ir.bbn.com>> wrote:
> Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us <mailto:clifford at snowandsnow.us>> writes:
>
> > The trailhead proposal is long overdue. They are common around areas I've
> > lived in the US. They usually have limited parking, signage, sometimes a
> > place to pay, and some even have permanent or portable restrooms. Thanks
> > for creating the proposal.
>
> agreed.

Yea, since there are so many public lands & wilderness reserves used for recreational hiking -  access to them can be inside a park, or just where the trail or fire access road (used as a trail) meets the normal road system - a small turnout has parking, an information sign and a warning about rattlesnakes or mountain lions (if you are in Southern California).

I think it would be good to define the start point of the trail as entrance=trailhead - it might also be barrier=gate, and it might be on highway=track, service road, path, or foot_path, even steps.

and then have the area defined by the trailhead by leisure=trailhead - as it is all about access for a leisure activity - hiking, backpacking, etc

and goes well with leisure=park, as there are some trailheads inside of parks, especially US/state parks with large campgrounds.

A single named trailhead can be the start/access point for many different trails.

If you separate the idea of a trailhead entrance from the trailhead area, then it is much more flexible, as some trailhead entrances have no amenities (or no amenities beyond an info sign, mappable on it’s own - hence no area), some are in parks and campgrounds, some are in suburban neighborhoods (where parking on along the street is the “parking” offered) and some are little turnouts or official parking areas inside a wilderness park that deserve to have a labeled area as a “trailhead”.

examples I know of:

 a very tiny trailhead in a residential neighborhood (fire road entrance) (entrance=trailhead, tourism=information + information=sign)

https://goo.gl/maps/Fhhm6 <https://goo.gl/maps/Fhhm6>  (Barker Way Trailhead)

The major trailhead with a large area, amenities, and parking  (leisure=trailhead + entrance=trailhead)

https://goo.gl/maps/LrHK4 <https://goo.gl/maps/LrHK4> (Cowles Mtn Trailhead)

A small park, with equestrian staging areas, with a trailhead in the back.  (leisure=park + entrance=trailhead)

https://goo.gl/maps/kSwDe <https://goo.gl/maps/kSwDe> (Mast Blvd Trailhead)

These are all for the same massive park. (mission Trails Regional Park)
http://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/pdf/missiontrailstrailmap.pdf <http://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/pdf/missiontrailstrailmap.pdf>

Japanese “trailheads” are often very limited in their signage, amenities, and maintenance (don’t expect a trash can or a fountain), as there are very few local neighborhood day-hikersin Japan (compared to Southern California).

https://goo.gl/maps/7w5fO <https://goo.gl/maps/7w5fO>  (trail access to climbing several small local peaks).

local parks often have more amenities, but the trailhead is inside a park-reservoir-farmland-forest-wood-picnic_ground (it truly is a mix of public-private weirdness).
https://goo.gl/maps/TIr50 <https://goo.gl/maps/TIr50>

on OSM
http://www.openstreetmap.org/note/344006#map=17/36.40289/139.27677&layers=N <http://www.openstreetmap.org/note/344006#map=17/36.40289/139.27677&layers=N>  (I mapped it last year)

However regional or national mountain climbing peak routes are often intermixed with not only parks, but religious shrines (as they are old religious pilgrimage trails), but the trailheads themselves are easily identified (and often have Torii gates)  Below is the trailhead entrance for Mt Nantai, after you enter a shrine, go through the shrine’s road, and up an access road, where the trail and the road finally diverge - but the temple’s main entrance below is considered the "true trailhead" for the route, so separating the two (area + entrance) is very useful, and can then be put into a route relation to connect the different highway=types into the hiking route, as I understand it.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/4fe43e48c4aa351883ffa840/t/52eca196e4b01b7c1a572f81/1391239575149/Trail+restarts+from+service+road%2C+go+through+the+gate.jpg?format=750w

 Javbw