[Tagging] sport=shooting & Shooting Range

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Mon Apr 13 21:24:13 UTC 2015

That's true - because the proper tag for it was not created yet and this is a case of tagging for the renderer.

A sports center may have an indoor range in a larger building, or the outdoor sports center is not mapped fully.

But if it is sport=archery + leisure=pitch it should be changed to leisure=range

Again, hockey players or even paintballers in the outfit (and protection) are supposed to be on the pitch when playing.

No one is supposed to be on 99% of the range when there is practicing going on. No one. If you are a contestant, you can't be in that area because you could be easily killed, let alone a bystander.

This is why it is a range, and not a pitch.

A range area outlined the place *where you can't be* during practice

A pitch outlines the place *where you should be* during practice.

Military has shooting range, not pitch for a reason.

Having practiced archery and shooting at ranges with the Boy Scouts and other private places (briefly), the facilities, rules, and no-mans land rules of the ranges are **exactly** the same.

Ranges are a place to safely practice a sport. The basic understanding that "this area is safe for me to propel deadly projectiles meant to impale people and things because access is restricted" is quite different than any other sport - so they have a different name for the facility, and not marking/rendering ranges different than pitches would be a safety issue.

They should be rendered differently and tagged differently from pitches.

Having a range for guns and a pitch for archery makes no sense.

Javbw