[Tagging] RFC - obligatory usage - bicycle=obligatory

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 14 15:24:17 UTC 2015

Am 14.04.2015 um 09:08 schrieb Volker Schmidt:
>> How would you tag:
>>

> Here are my reformulated answers.
> Note that the answers do not apply to all countries, and most certainly not
> to the US, where to my knowledge there are no distinctions between bicycle
> and pedestrian use of sidewalks and cycleways. More specifically, I believe
> my replies are correct in Germany and Italy

Do only know the tagging in my region in Germany.

> 1) Picture 1 with the blue traffic sign
>>

> My answer:
> highway=path; foot=designated; bicycle=designated; segregated=yes.
> In addition you may want to specify which side is the footway and which
> side is the cycleway by lanes=2 and bicycle:lanes=yes|no and
> foot:lanes=no|yes
> You may also add colour:lanes=red|grey

Please, use the proper access tags with :lanes
highway=path
bicycle=designated
foot=designated
segregated=yes
bicycle:lanes=designated|no
foot:lanes=no|designated
vehicle=no

>> 2) Picture 1 without the blue traffic sign
>>

> My answer:
> Anything of the following, depending on context:
> highway=unclassified/track/pedestrian/cycleway/...
> But none of foot/bicycle=designated/official/yes

+1
would use highway=unclassified/service/track/path

>> 3) Picture 2 with the blue traffic sign
>>

> My answer:
> exactly as in case (1) for the cycle-and-foot-way and in addition
> bicycle=use_sidepath on the street

Would not tag the sidewalk as separate object

highway=*
cycleway=track
segregated=yes
sidewalk=both

alternatively as separate objects three ways
main:

highway=*
bicyle=use_sidepath
sidewalk=sidepath

and on both sides

as 1) with additional
oneway=yes
path=sidewalk

>> 4) Picture 2 without the blue traffic sign
>>

> My answers:
>
> Alternative (a)
> highway=residential
> sidewalk=both
> Reason: If there is no sign whatsoever, I would consider both sides as
> sidewalk (Buergersteig in German).

+1

Well, in Germany bicycles are legally allowed to use the sidewalk in
this case but it is not compulsory.

As the German bicycle club (ADFC) advises its member not to use it
anymore (after the blue signs where removed) and my personal observation
are that other people riding on the former cycle track higher the
chances that car driver honk and even riskily overtake when I correctly
ride one meter left of the curb on the street.

Therefor everyone using this former cycle track is lifting the risk of
accidents and there are usually more than one reason why the signs where
removed.

All together I can understand others using

sidewalk:bicycle=yes

but would not tag it. Instead I usually add a note=* to tell others that
the signes where removed.

> Alternative (b)
> Use separate ways on both sides of the street with: highway=footway, but
> none of foot/bicycle=designated/official
> Without additional signs the paths on both sides of the road are sidewalks
> (i.e. pedestrian use)

highway=*
sidewalk=sidepath

plus on both sides

highway=path
foot=designated
bicyles=yes
oneway=yes
path=sidewalk

> In all four cases there are in addition all the other tags like surface=;
> smoothness=; lit=

+1

sidewalk:surface=paving_stones
cycleway:surface=paving_stones