[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - trailhead

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 04:34:28 UTC 2015

On 15/04/2015 12:13 PM, johnw wrote:

>> On Apr 15, 2015, at 6:35 AM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com
>> <mailto:bryce2 at obviously.com>> wrote:
>>
>> But there are cases where the trail-head has a given and well known NAME.
>> So far I generally tag that on the parking area, but parking is not
>> necessarily a requirement for having a trailhead.
>
> The easy definition is: A place where you you officially enter or exit
> a wilderness area on a maintained trail or track *and* there is some
> kind of allowance for switching modes of transportation.

Many 'trailheads' in my area have no additional parking, nor do they
have a shelter, bench, water, toilets etc. Some have a sign .. some do not.

To me a 'trailhead' is simply a place where I can enter or leave a trail
that is officially condoned. Other things (like parking areas, toilets
etc) should be marked with the appropriate tag. Oh .. some of the signs
direct you to the local railway station .. about 2 miles walk away.