[Tagging] inuse, defacto

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sat Apr 18 15:44:30 UTC 2015

On 18.04.2015 09:31, Friedrich Volkmann wrote:
> So far we have 3 parameters: number of OSM objects, number of real-word
> objects, number of users. Let's put them into a formula in order to enable
> objective decisions and avoid edit wars.

I don't think it's as easy as that. Other things to consider:

- If there is an alternative tagging concept around, then the numbers
need to be a lot higher. On the other hand, if a tag is universally
considered a good idea, usage numbers don't matter as much.
- A tag that is only used in a certain country or region is probably not
a defacto standard yet (except for things that exist nowhere else).
- Application and/or editor support is important, no tag can be
considered fully established without it imo.

To be honest, I doubt it's possible to put it into a formula. My
personal interpretation of "defacto" is a tag that is used by a lot of
mappers and applications throughout the world, and you can print it on a
mug without having to worry that it might be outdated anytime soon.