[Tagging] electric zigarrettes

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Wed Apr 22 21:10:44 UTC 2015

I haven't been back to America for a while, but the no smoking signs had "and e-cigarettes" added to the bottom when I was back last year.

It may not be technically a cigarette, but it is perceived to be in the same family as other things that protrude from your mouth and allow for nicotine consumption through heating.

If they have any kind of smell (I've never seen one yet - as 40% of people in my region of Japan just "smoke") they they will probably continue to be lumped in with tobacco, as smelly things are still considered rude. I assume vaporizing resin must produce some crappy smells. Similar restrictions on purchase might also be continued.

Also, just as we think of an iPhone as a phone - when it really isn't - we still categorize it as a "phone".

Over time, e-cigarettes might eventually replace burning tobacco cigarettes, but they are a continuation of the idea of "cigarettes" - so keeping the rules for them with cigarettes for tagging is a good idea.

I don't expect to find iPhones under "pocket computer shop"- A shop that sells iPhone accessories is selling "phone" accessories, not pocket computer accessories, though we could make such a distinction.

Javbw