[Tagging] Tagging of pitches within a campsite

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Fri Apr 24 20:11:30 UTC 2015

If the individual pitches are part of a campground that has a street address then in makes sense.

But many campgrounds run by the US Forest Service and other state and local parks do not have street addresses even if they are located on roads. And there are backcountry campgrounds with numbered pitches where there is no highway so addr:street=* and addr:housenumber=* are impossible to specify.

I consider addr:*=* tags as part of an address namespace that should all work together. Using addr:unit=* outside of the context where addr:street=* and addr:housenumber=* cannot always be used seems as bad as using ref=* for the pitch identifier.

If some variation of the tagging described at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Extend_camp_site#Tagging_of_individual_pitches is used the maybe camp_site:identifier=* could be used rather than ref=* or addr:unit=*.

There has been a comment on this thread that the tagging there could be confusing as tourism=camp_site for the top level would imply that camp_site:*=* tags should be about the whole campground rather than an individual pitch. So I can see objections to creating a camp_site:identifier=* tag. Maybe all the tags in http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Extend_camp_site#Tagging_of_individual_pitches should be changed from camp_site:*=* to camp_site:pitch:*=*

I haven’t noticed hierarchical name spaces in tag names to that level but don’t know a reason whey they could not be used. I would certainly be clear to any mapper or data consumer that the value being given was specific to a specific pitch in a campground.

Cheers,
Tod