[Tagging] AE and BE orthography in tagging

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 14:36:28 UTC 2015

> I'm sure there will be others.

the "sidewalk" key comes to mind.
In this case, the descision was taken deliberately because "pavement" and
"footway" seemed ambiguous or easily confusable.

> In the case of shop=jewelry, most data consumers only support the US
> spelling. Usage stats for the UK spelling are currently about 1,1%.

the main rendering style does support both spellings, i.e. also map styles
that fork this style will have support for both spellings. Generally I
believe this tag is of minor interest to many OSM data users (compared e.g.
to routing relevant things like subways and sidewalks).

The other tags you mention:
- railway=subway -> not sure why this was chosen, "underground" seems a
reasonable BE candidate while the "metro" term seems to be Paris-related in
English.
- highway=elevator -> not sure either, there is minor use of highway=lift
as well.
- sport=soccer -> I remember a discussion some years ago where "soccer" was
deliberately chosen because "football" seemed to lead to confusion
(american football).

If there is interest, we could change the first 2 (subway, elevator) as
well (or start a change process). I would exclude the tags that have been
formerly discussed and deliberately chosen in a non-British form (sidewalk,
soccer).

Cheers,
Martin