[Tagging] Colour coding of wiki description boxes

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 23:01:23 UTC 2015

On 29/04/2015 4:30 AM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
>  +1 that there's a problem here of the wiki pretending to be more than
> it it is.  Xxzme's "bold" edits often exacerbate that.
>
> --
> When it comes to "deprecated" and "obsolete" tags I basically feel
> that if you can't get enough worldwide consent to re-tag, the tags are
> not really obsolete or deprecated. The partial deprecation approach is
> bad for mappers bad for the data bad for data consumers.
>
> The wiki bar is already far too low for deprecation, and the colour
> red goes too far in discouraging use of a tag that may be perfectly
> valid, wanted and even widely used.
>
> Since deprecation is nuanced condition in OSM the wiki should reflect
> that nuance. Bringing editor support indications into the wiki would
> help. A feature that's deprecated in Keepright/osmose/JOSM and iD is
> very different from a feature that three people got together and
> marked deprecated on the Wiki.

Where some tag is 'depreciated' then the alternative tag should be
highlighted. The mapper then can make the choice.

Colours?
Ok with the colour blind thing .. need to state what colours are best so
choices can be made from them.

Why does the entire box need to be done in the chosen colour?? Why not
just do the status text in bold in that colour? This reduces the
significance of the status... may be leave the whole box colours for
things of more significance ... status=abandoned?