[Tagging] Tagging of pitches within a campsite

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Thu Apr 30 01:07:37 UTC 2015

> On Apr 29, 2015, at 4:15 PM, David Bannon <dbannon at internode.on.net> wrote:
>
> Several months ago we were advised that a camp_site is the larger site
> that contains one or (usually) more pitches. Therefore to say that a
> particular instance of a camp_site is a pitch is just plain silly.
>
> Except, perhaps, for the rare case of a one pitch camp site ?

The key pitch=<value> is only used a few times and it appears that most or all of those should have been tagged with leisure=pitch, sport=<value>. So I guess that individual sites/pitches within a campground could use a namespace based on pitch. However I suspect that could become confusing to people more accustomed to the sport use of the word.

Perhaps “camp_pitch” could be used to avoid confusion. The suggestions at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Extend_camp_site#Tagging_of_individual_pitches could then be something like:

camp_pitch:type=tent;caravan;motorhome — The things we can put on this pitch.
camp_pitch:parking=yes/no - You can park next to your tent.
camp_pitch:table=yes/no - There is a table for exclusive use of the pitch occupants.
camp_pitch:fire=ring/stove - There is a fireplace or fire ring for exclusive use of pitch occupants.
camp_pitch:electric=yes/no - There is an electrical hookup for this pitch.
camp_pitch:water=yes/no - There is a water tap for this pitch.
etc.

If people are really worried about routing to a specific pitch in a campground and believe that addr:unit might be more acceptable to the people doing geocoding, then camp_pitch=yes, addr:unit=<identifier>.