[Tagging] highway=footway - Advanced definition: Distinction footway vs path

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 10:28:25 UTC 2015

No, that isn't a difference. If path is generic then footway is a subset of
path.

It's this idea, that we need a vague generic basket for smaller highways
that has created all this confusion. It amounts to saying: put in a vague
tag and then add others to clarify. That isn't how people use tags in
practice: all tags develop a semantic meaning, the only question is whether
anybody understands what that meaning is!

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 11:05 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com