[Tagging] highway=footway - Advanced definition: Distinction footway vs path

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 23:46:58 UTC 2015

On 4/08/2015 1:41 AM, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 19:30:09 +0900
> johnw <johnw at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> I DO NOT WANT path & footway merged - we need to be able to show
>> rough/informal paths.
> The problem is that distinction of highway=path and highway=footway is
> meaningless, like with natural=wood vs landuse=forest as it varies
> from location to location and from mapper to mapper.
>
> Various mappers use different distinctions, other consider them
> equivalent (highway=path was not supposed to imply anything about
> quality, importance or surface).
>
> Changing definitions now is pointless - who is going to resurvey and
> verify over 9 million highway=path/footway ways to ensure that it will
> fit new definition?

With the present definitions ... it is a mess.

Changing the definition/s is to address the distinction between the two.

If done well it would help, and that is the point.

To fix this mess will require work, leaving it alone will simply mean new data added will contribute to the mess and to the work required to fix the mess in the future.
Saying it is now a lot of work, too hard, etc simply makes more work for any future fix. Fix it now and hopefully it remains fixed into the future.