[Tagging] highway=footway - Advanced definition: Distinction footway vs path

Michael Reichert nakaner at gmx.net
Tue Aug 4 15:41:52 UTC 2015

Hi Richard,

Am 2015-08-04 um 16:59 schrieb Richard:
> On Sun, Aug 02, 2015 at 11:43:21PM +0200, Michael Reichert wrote:
>> I fully oppose highway=footpath. This is not backward-compatible and
>> will therefore break almost all applications which use OSM data. It
>> conflicts with existing, heavily used tagging.
>
> quite the opposite. It won't break anything. It will be ignored for some
> time untill data consumers learn about th new tag.

Every data user who does not support highway=footpath will loose all
paths have highway=footpath because he expect them as highway=footway or
highway=path. That's what I call backward-incompatible.

Every data user has to add highway=footpath to his style sheets,
scripts, config files etc. Please read paragraph 8 to 10 of Andy Allan's
posting at Github 1 1/2 years ago.
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/230#issuecomment-29238913

Best regards

Michael