[Tagging] highway=footway - Advanced definition: Distinction footway vs path

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 10:12:17 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

> Am 05.08.2015 um 11:25 schrieb johnw <johnw at mac.com>:
>
> So is there a way to deal with the discrepancy of =footway, =path, and a lack of an explicit =trail option without a new =footway tag? yea. It means more strictly defining footway and path. which people don’t want to do either.

path is not just (and not always) footway, it is also cycleway and bridleway and combined forms of these

> the overlap and ambiguity of =path is very annoying.

I don't see an actual problem, besides people interpreting different meanings into the tag than what is actually documented. The "ambiguity" (or better universality) is intentional.

cheers
Martin