[Tagging] highway=footway - Advanced definition: Distinction footway vs path

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 10:46:27 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

Am 05.08.2015 um 12:03 schrieb Richard <ricoz.osm at gmail.com>:

>> Every data user who does not support highway=footpath will loose all
>> paths have highway=footpath because he expect them as highway=footway or
>> highway=path. That's what I call backward-incompatible.
>
> sure, but there are no such paths right now so nothing will be lost.
> People who create them will have to live with it that they won't show up
> on mapnik for some time or mabye never will.

actually not only the people who create them will have to live with them vanishing from mapnik/carto, but everybody using this map. Retagging without rendering support isn't an option, you'd be called for vandalism (rightfully). A new key can always be introduced but a new value for a common key is normally problematic in all cases where some different consensus tagging is pre-existent.

> highway=via_ferrata isn't
> rendered on mapnik, so what?

not comparable

> Redefining existing tags is what causes true breakage.

+1

> In 2008 highway=path
> was approved saying
>   "The default access restriction of highway=path is open
>    to all non-motorized vehicles, but emergency vehicles are allowed. "
> Some years later, Feb 15 2015 the page was changed without vote and discussion
> to claim that :
>   "The default access restrictions of paths varies from country, see
>    OSM_tags_for_routing/Access-Restrictions"

should be reverted. If I had my way we'd remove all conflicting country specific docu from the wiki in one go ;-)

cheers

Martin